Monday, June 21, 2010

Tasty Salmonella

Yakiniku - Essentially DIY Barbeque

6/19/10

When you picture Japanese food, what’s the first thing that you think of? I would guess that for about 90% of the American population, the first thing that comes to mind is sushi. Sushi in its most basic form consists of raw fish and rice. In America, the idea of eating raw meat causes many to cringe with a “No thanks,” but raw food is actually pretty common in Japan, aside from sushi. An old-fashioned Japanese breakfast usually includes eating a raw egg over rice. If you don’t care for rice, you can eat sashimi, which is just plain raw fish. Practically everyone eats some kind of raw food at some point in time in Japan.


As Americans, we drop our jaws and make gagging motions at the mere idea of eating anything raw, other than perhaps fruit or vegetables. Why? Perhaps because we deem it unsanitary, or we fear the risk of salmonella poisoning. Why then do the Japanese never seem to suffer from these ailments?



According to Mari, my host mom in Tokyo, it’s because everything is served fresh. Because of this, it’s okay to eat. The eggs are served maybe a day or two after they’ve popped out of the chicken, and the sushi is served mere minutes after the fish has been gutted. From experience, I can tell that Mari’s theory is correct.

Allow me to list some of the raw foods I have eaten since coming to Japan:
Eggs
Squid
Octopus
Beef
Salmon
And various other fish that I am unable to identify

I have eaten all of these things, and I have yet to vomit or even feel remotely sick as a result. I remember receiving warnings from people at school and my doctors not to eat anything that was uncooked, but come on. It’s Japan. They’re kind of obsessed with cleanliness. And the way I see it, you’re in a foreign country so why not try the local cuisine. And besides, if there aren’t any Japanese people dropping dead every day from food poisoning, I figure it’s safe for me to eat it too.

1 comment: