Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Promised Land for Nerds

3/9/10

In the office today, I did more commenting on Facebook as well as the Manga University forums, another place where people post their artwork for feedback and advice. From what I could tell, people really appreciated someone from the offices commenting and giving them advice on their work. I also met Rachel, a student at Temple University’s Tokyo campus who interns in the office on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays. She’s originally from Baltimore, Maryland and attended a school in Michigan for a year before transferring to Temple in Tokyo, where she plans to get her four-year degree. After work, we got on the train together and chatted all the way to Akihabara where I got off to explore, despite the cold and the rain.



For those who don’t know, Akihabara is every anime/manga/video game geek’s Mecca. There are stores filled with action figures, plushies, key chains, coffee mugs, and every other kind of merchandise that an anime/manga/video game series could possible have. This includes doujinshi (fan comic) stores, duty-free electronics, arcades, and maid cafes. One of my favorite things to do in Akihabara is browse the claw-prize machines for the cute plushies that you can win if you’re skilled enough.


This was a pretty quiet visit for me due to the rain, but I expect to return at least once more before I leave Tokyo.

1 comment:

  1. Please post the address for the twitter and facebook accounts for managa university. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete