Saturday, March 6, 2010

Treasures of Japanese Shopping Malls

3/6/10

My flight was smooth and once I arrived at Glenn and Mari’s house in Nishi Kawaguchi, I pretty much ate dinner and crashed for the night, so I won’t go in
to that. Also, I’ve fixed my blog so that anyone can comment, not just blogger users.


Today was more productive. Mari took me with her to a local shopping mall and let me explore for a while on my own, along with Bradley and my favorite vending machine drink: Milk tea. So I wandered around the mall and snapped some photos, particularly of things that were pretty funny. Today’s treasures include claw machine prizes, silly obento boxes, and hilarious children’s clothing.



For those of you who can’t read Japanese, the back says “Funky! Monkey! Baby!”



I love going to arcades in Japan because you never know what you’re going to find in the claw prize machines. They have everything from stuffed animals to action figures to snacks. And rubber chickens in speedos.



This right here is an obento box, which is commonly used to carry lunches for school kids and business men. They usually come in fun shapes and colors, but they've recently been going a little more to the extreme with their designs. Although it would be pretty fun to eat lunch out of a pokeball.



Since it’s the beginning of spring here in Japan, that means that the sakura (cherry blossom) trees will start blooming soon if they haven’t already. As such, every store is advertising products with sakura festivals in mind. Including beer.

After leaving the mall, Mari and I stopped by a kitchen appliance store where she bought a special dish detergent and encouraged me to speak with the store clerks. They were all very friendly and tried out their English on me as I tried out my Japanese on them. Even though I haven’t been using Japanese for two months, I’m not as rusty as I thought. We then made another side trip to Mari’s father’s house. I met him and his cat and had a small conversation about my hometown and my school before I was served a small portion of his homemade curry chicken.

Then it was home again, where I now type up as Mari prepares dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment