Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Introductions Before the Adventure



Salutations one and all.

I’m assuming that most people reading this know who I am, but for the possible stranger who might come along, allow me to introduce myself: My full name is Katharine, but most people call me Kat or Katso (These days only the people who have known me for a long time call me by my given name). I am a junior in college majoring in Studio Art and Asian Studies, and I am about to embark on a journey to the Eastern Hemisphere to a tiny country called Japan for the next five months. My travel schedule is thus: For the first three weeks in March, I will be interning with a publishing company in Tokyo. For the last week of the month, I will be traveling to Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima while making my way down to Nagasaki, where I will be studying at a university until early August.

I chose to create this blog to keep a record of the places that I go and the things that I see while also keeping my friends and family updated on where I am and what I’m doing (I hope my mother will particularly find peace of mind with this). This will not be my first time in Japan. I spent three weeks in Tokyo in January of 2009 with a group of students from my school. However, this will be my first time traveling alone to a foreign country. It’s exciting and terrifying all at once, but I’ve navigated some of the larger cities in America, and I have an excellent sense of direction, so here’s hoping that I won’t get too lost in my travels.

I suppose now would also be a good time to explain: “Why Japan?” as that seems to be a question that comes up rather frequently. I have been interested in Asian culture since I was about five years old, mainly because I thought that the people were incredibly beautiful. When I was nine I discovered anime and manga through Sailor Moon, and so my interest began to lean more toward Japan. As I grew older, I continued to learn more about Japanese culture through my own research, from small facts about eating etiquette to pictures of teenagers off the streets of Harajuku in their wild outfits. In college, I began studying the Japanese language and fell in love. As difficult as the language is, it’s really fun once you get the hang of it. As I mentioned before, I am a Studio Art major as well as an Asian Studies major. This is born out of my love for drawing and cartooning. I have wanted to go into a career in art since I was very small, and my studies of Japanese culture have led me to adapting a cartooning style that is very reminiscent of anime and manga. Love of cartoons + Japanese cartooning style = pure love.

Also, I will not be completely alone on my adventures. Allow me to introduce my traveling companion, Bradley.



Bradley is a Mudkip that I adopted on my last trip to Japan. He and his brother Nigel (who was adopted by my friend Kate) came from the same clutch of Mudkips, but they were separated at birth. He is coming with me to get a better understanding of the land where he was born, and to perhaps find the rest of his clutch.

So there’s my introduction. My flight leaves early in the morning this coming Thursday, and I am scheduled to land in Tokyo on Friday. The frequency of my updates remains to be seen, but I would appreciate any comments left by friends and family, just so I don’t feel lonely while I’m gone. Be sure to leave a name so I know who you are.

Next update will be from Tokyo! Until then, be safe my lovelies, and wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Great start to a wonderful adventure ahead for you and Bradley. We will wait with anticipation for the next edition! We love you, love you, love you!

    Mama

    ReplyDelete