Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cosplay Shops and Garlic Ice Cream



3/7/10

Today I went on an outing with Mari, my host mother, and her daughter Emily to Ikebukuro. Emily is planning a cosplay and wanted to pick out a wig, so Mari took us to a cosplay store called Acos. I’ve been in plenty of costume shops before, but never an actual cosplay store.



The first floor had mannequins featuring costumes from anime/manga series such as D. Gray-man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and the newest Gundam series. The costumes are all very well made and not at all flimsy like packaged Halloween costumes. The second floor is wigs and props.


After Emily had chosen her wig and I had gotten a good look around, we went off to a large shopping center known as Sunshine 60, or Sunshine City. Inside is a small entertainment area called Namjatown. I would liken it to the Japanese equivalent of Chuck E. Cheese (I was a bit too overwhelmed to take many pictures, but I might be able to get some from Mari’s camera later). One of the most interesting parts of Namjatown is a small super-market display where you can buy ice creams in flavors such as garlic, yakitori, and poisonous snake. I was not feeling particularly adventurous, so I didn’t try anything.





No comments:

Post a Comment